Happy Easter everyone! Here’s a handy way of drawing an egg shape using maths.
You will need
- Pin board, or several sheets of corrugated cardboard
- 3 drawing pins
- Pen or pencil
- Coloured pencils for decorating
What to do
- Draw 3 dots on the paper in the shape of a T. Make the stem of the T around 12 cm, and each arm of the top of the T around 4 cm.
- Put the paper on the pin board, and push pins through the 3 dots. Cut a length of string, and make a loop that fits around the pins with only a little slack in it.
- Put a pen in the loop, and pull it out until the string goes tight.
- Keeping the string tight, move the pen around the pins.
- Congratulations! You have drawn an egg shape. Now you can decorate it.
An egg is a very strange shape. It’s like an oval, but it’s slightly rounder at the bottom, and pointier at the top. It is symmetrical when rotated on its end, or flipped left to right (or right to left). It is also a very hard shape to draw by hand because it is so close to an oval. Continue reading